Meals & More
If you or a loved one needs help getting and preparing meals, then Meals & More may be the answer you are looking for. The goal of CICOA’s Meals & More program is to provide appetizing, nutritionally balanced meals to older adults and those with disabilities either in their homes or at one of more than 30 neighborhood meal sites. The program is designed to relieve hunger and food insecurity, promote socialization and address proper nutrition education. Services include individual nutrition assessments, individual nutrition counseling, group and individual nutrition education, and outreach. Annually, we serve more than half a million meals, and in November 2014 celebrated our 18 millionth meal.
Service recipients of Meals & More are prioritized according to federal guidelines that include persons age 60 and over and their spouses, those in greatest social and economic need with particular attention to low-income individuals, minority individuals, those in rural communities, those with limited English proficiency and those at risk of institutional care.
Seniors receiving home-delivered or neighborhood meal services from CICOA have the opportunity to donate toward the cost of their meal. All meal contributions are confidential and no individual is turned away because of an inability to pay. The suggested donation per meal is $2.00.
CICOA delivers hot and wholesome meals to residents of Marion and the surrounding counties Monday through Friday. To receive home-delivered meals, individuals primarily should be confined to their home due to physical or mental health reasons, unable to prepare their own meals and meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
- At least 60 years of age; or
- The spouse of someone at least 60 years of age; or
- Under the age of 60 with a disability and receiving services through CHOICE, SSBG, or Medicaid Waiver.
CICOA offers a regular diet only, as well as a nutritional analysis of all menus to empower health-conscious consumers watching calories, fat, carbohydrates, sodium, fiber or calcium. For more information or to arrange delivery, contact 317-254-3660.
Neighborhood Meal Sites
Hot, nutritious meals are served Monday through Friday at various neighborhood meal sites. Lunch service times vary for each site. Reservations are required, so please contact the phone number on the neighborhood meal sites listing to make a reservation.
CICOA also offers a voucher program that enables individuals age 60 and over to have more options and increased flexibility in their dining choices. For a suggested contribution of $3.00 each, seniors can receive up to eight vouchers per month that may be redeemed at hospital cafeterias for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Participating Hospital Cafeterias:
- Community Hospital East
- Community North Hospital
- Hancock Regional Hospital
- Hendricks Regional Health
- IU Health Morgan Hospital
- Major Hospital
- Witham Hospital
Voucher Distribution Sites:
- Community Hospital East: Vouchers will be available on the first Wednesday of each month, 10 a.m.to noon at the Touchpoint program office at Community Hospital East.
- Community North Hospital: Vouchers are available on the first Wednesday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon
- Greenfield Senior Center: Seniors may purchase vouchers on the first and second Wednesday of each month at the Patricia Elmore Senior Center, 280 Apple Street in Greenfield. The vouchers are then redeemed during normal cafeteria hours at Hancock Regional Hospital, where special menus have been designated for the program.
- Hendricks County Senior Services: 1201 Sycamore Lane, in Danville, Seniors are informed as soon as the site receives vouchers. No set days/times while supplies last. Vouchers may be redeemed at Hendricks Regional Health during normal cafeteria hours.
- IU Health Morgan Hospital: Vouchers will be available at the hospital information desk on the first of each month, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. while supplies last
- Horizon Center-Shelby Senior Center: Vouchers are available each month from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Horizon Center while supplies last and may be redeemed at Major Hospital Monday through Friday during normal cafeteria hours.
- Boone County Senior Services: Vouchers are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. while supplies last
- Heritage Place: Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. while supplies last.
CICOA provides nutrition education to individuals and their families to promote healthy food choices, improve health behaviors and manage nutrition-related chronic diseases. Anyone interested in learning additional details about any of the educational opportunities available through our neighborhood meal sites should contact CICOA at 317-803-6042 or click on the link above.